Monday, January 12, 2015

Sharing My Obsession With Essential Oils-Lemondropper Style

Okay, so I wasn't going to do this. I wasn't going to make a huge blog post about my essential oils and what they are and why they rock. Why wasn't I going to make a blog post? It's not because I had information that I wanted to keep to myself or that I didn't want to share my love of oils. It's because I am not a sales person and I don't want to come off being that way or being one of those way to salesy people. I decided to say "oh well" to that thinking and I wanted to give you at least some form of basic information. Take some time, learn a little bit about the oils and if you want to purchase your own, well I am here. If you don't, no worries! Also if you have any questions please feel free to email me at powersmama713@gmail.com or jbpowers713@gmail.com. Yes I have two emails, I am just that cool. Alright so here we go!


Essential oils are the aromatic component of plants. They are found in the different parts of a plant like the leaves, root, bark, seed, flower, etc. They have hundreds of different chemical compounds in them and they are highly concentrated. One drop goes a long way! They are not like an olive oil. They don't have the fatty compounds that it does. They are very light and absorb right into the skin.  They are far more potent than the dried herbs are because they are made by steam distillation and it takes much more plant product to make up the essential oil. For example it takes 4,000 lbs of roses to make 1 lb of rose oil! Now you know why rose oil is so expensive. ;-)



I talked a little bit about how they are steam distilled and that's why they are so potent. That is one way of making oils. The oils are made a couple different ways. A lot of citrus are cold pressed which means they take a really big weight on the plant product and squeeze out the oil.Some are made by absolute oil extraction a solvent is added to the plant product. To separate the solvent from the oil they then use steam. Some are resin tapped which means they cut a piece of the plant and resin comes out. They then steam distill the resin. Last is what we talked about before and that is steam distillation. Most oils are made this way. What happens is the plants are harvested and brought to the distillery. They are put in stainless steel cylinders that are around 20 ft tall and 8 ft across. A low temperature steam is then ran through the plant material from the bottom and it picks up the oils as it rises. The steam and oil goes through a gooseneck at the top into a condenser where it is cooled back down. Then the oil is then separated. This is very important to the quality of the oils. There can be different distillations. First distillation is the best and the more distillations the plant goes through the less potent it is. Think of it like a tea bag. First cup of tea is strong but if you use the same tea bag and make another cup, then another by the fourth cup you can barely taste the tea. 



I did months and months of research on oils and different oil companies, so what made me choose Young Living? Well I will tell you! Young Living is 100% pure therapeutic grade oils. With them being so pure they can be diffused, applied topically, and ingested. I will talk more about this in a bit. Young Living has been making essential oils for 20 years! They are the worlds leader in oils. A big part of my decision is their seed to seal process. Here is a picture that talks a little bit about it:

It's Young Livings promise to its customers. They own their own farms so by that they can control the plants. They have farms and partner farms all over the world to make the highest quality of plants.  You can even go visit a farm! Being in business for 20 years means they have the experience in selecting the correct species of plant for desired potency. Also they know how to plant under optimal conditions using ideal soil and natural methods to encourage growth. They do their own harvesting and distilling. Remember how I said that the distillation process was really important? The fact that Young Living does their own distilling means that they can take them from the first distillation. They even take it before the first distillation is complete so they are very potent! They also use a very low temperature, low pressure process to distill their oils. This maintains the molecular content of the oils. They even bottle the oils themselves so that Young Living does everything from start to finish! Another great thing they do is rigorous testing. They have a state of the art lab and also send their oils to third party testing sites to make sure they meet their very strict purity standards.The scientist subject every batch to a gas chromatography, mass spectrometry, and a heavy metal analysis.  The refuse to use any diluted, cut, or adulterated oils so if they show even the slightest hint of tampering with or alteration they are rejected. 


There is a couple different choices when getting the oils. First one is you can create a retail account and pay retail prices on them. Its fairly easy and doesn't take much. What I always suggest is becoming a member. You do that by buying a starter kit. I recommend the premium starter kit, its the best bang for the buck! 

If you need any more information or have any questions please comment or you can email me directly at the emails I listed above! Have a great day everyone!



Peace and Love, 




















No comments:

Post a Comment