Monday, May 18, 2015

DIY Natural Shower Cleaner!

A couple posts ago I talked about why I choose to live naturally. If you haven't had a chance to read it yet you can read it HERE. I thought I would start giving you some recipes that I have been using and love so that you can start making them at home. I am in the process of moving some recipes from my old blog to this one. I want them all in one place. Honestly, I also don't want to have to run two blogs. I am lazy and its exhausting lol.

This was one of my first recipes that I started using and I was amazed by how well it worked and how easy it was to clean. Plus I didn't have to use my inhaler immediately after so that is a plus. I have been using this recipe for a little over a year (give or take) and have been constantly tweaking it. I have never gotten sick while cleaning my shower with it and to me it actually cleans BETTER than any other shower cleaner I have used. 

The ingredients that I started using are simple. You use water, dish soap, and vinegar. That is really all you need to use. I started out using Dawn dish soap but now I use Seventh Generation because its an all natural dish soap. Yes, I am very serious about going as natural as possible. I don't like to think of myself as "crunchy" but I guess I am going down the crunchy/hippie path. You can use Dawn if you wish but if you want to be 100% chemical free use an all natural dish soap. Anyways, I wanted to show you what my tub looked like before. This is my old apartments tub that was really hard for me to clean, don't judge. 


I will admit it is nasty. See all those shadows? Those aren't shadows they are scum and grossness. Well, most of them aren't shadows. I would be lying if I said my tub now is always spotless, because it is not. I will show you a picture of our current tub later. It is so much easier to keep clean though. I don't feel like death has come over me after cleaning the shower. I also don't have to close the door, refuse to let my kids in, and have it "air" out. 

Lets talk about how I make my shower cleaner. I grab a dollar store cleaning bottle. I then fill it 1/4 of the way with dish soap. After the dish soap is in I add vinegar until it is about halfway full. 


After you do that you gently swirl it to mix. Also while doing the vinegar you do not want to add it quickly. It can make a bubbly mess. Trust me on this one. After they are well mixed I filled it the rest of the way with water. I also added around a half cap-full of thieves cleaner. A little bit goes a long way! For my all surface everyday cleaner I do a cap-full of thieves per whole cleaning bottle of water so if you even wanted to do less then you can. I love the way it makes it smell and it really gives it an extra kick. Plus thieves helps keep the germs away. Winning! You can also add some essential oils to it to help with cleaning. There is a thieves essential oil, lavender, peppermint, pretty much whatever you want. Citrus oils are great cleaners. I am just afraid to try them in a plastic bottle since they can eat through plastic. For me I just add the thieves cleaner. 


Once it is all mixed you just spray it in your shower and let it sit. I let it sit for around an hour, give or take. It depends on how busy I get with the kids. Another thing I do is when I know I am going to take a shower I spray it in there around an hour before I take a shower then I clean while I shower. BE CAREFUL though, it can get super slippery. I am a woman so I love to multitask so my showers are not just showers anymore. I even take the spray bottle in there with me sometimes and spray it on my shower curtain and clean it when I am in there. I have a little scrubber brush right in the shower. It only takes a couple minutes and I love how clean my shower is after it. 

I wanted to show you what my old apartments shower looked like after I cleaned it with my homemade cleaner. After I let it sit I just took the brush and wiped it off. NO SCRUBBING! I have had multiple people tell me that this is the best shower cleaner they have ever used. Okay here it is. 


TA-DA! Doesn't that look amazing compared to the first picture! So easy too! I clean my shower a bit more than that now that I have this recipe. I will show you how clean my tub looks on a mostly daily basis since it is easier to clean now.


Remember, I just spray it on. Let it sit. Then I wipe it off. When I clean (and every day) I keep the bath toys in the tub and I don't even feel bad about it. There is nothing in this that will hurt my children and their bath toys get clean too. Win-win! Can you say that about your shower cleaner? This is super easy to make, it is super cheap to make, it makes cleaning super easy to do, and it isn't going to harm you like other cleaners. What is stopping you from trying it? 

Peace and Love,






2 comments:

  1. Vinegar and water go well together as cleaners, and add a bit of your favorite essential oil, they make a perfect trio! I just love how everyone is apt to go green nowadays, as such is good for the wallet and less harmful to the environment. Anyway, thanks for sharing that, Jessica. All the best! :)

    Larry Brannon @ Leonard Brush And Chemical

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry, couldn't agree with you more! Vinegar, water, essential oils, and some baking soda is the way to go! Thank you so much for your comment, glad you enjoyed my post! :-)

      Delete