Monday, April 13, 2015

Making the Girls Room Pretty

My husband and I have been working like crazy people over the past week to re-do our girls room. Bridgette and Emelia share a room. There is an age difference between them so we don't know how long we would like them to share a room but for now they are LOVING it. Emelia doesn't sleep half as well when Bridgette is not here and they have a blast together.

Well, Bridgette was on spring break for last week and she went up north to her dads for the whole time. We decided to surprise her and re-do their room. It was hard waiting for Bridgette to come home and see everything. I even had Brad go and get her from her dads because we both know I would blab and tell her about it.

This was the room before. Sorry its kinda not a good pic. We of course forgot to take before pics when we started but thanks to Zillow we were able to find at least one pic from when they put our house for sale.

37274 Ilene St, Clinton Township, MI 48036

Our whole house had this bland tan walls. It is gross. We definitely painted as many walls as we could. The only places now that are left in that color are the hallway and our front living room/dining room. We will repaint those soon too. We have been here for a year now and finally had time (and an idea) to do the girls room. I didn't know I loved decorating as much as I did. My back hurts and some things were ridiculously hard to do but in the end it is worth it 100%.

That picture only shows a portion of the room but our after pictures show a lot more. Trust me, you are not missing out by not seeing the rest of the room in that picture. Now I wanted to show you what the room looks like now. We will start with Bridgette's side.



I got most of the things for her side from the dollar store. I cannot say enough how much I absolutely love the dollar store. It is one of my favorite places to be. Without sounding trashy, the dollar store is my Target lol. Well except the "dollar" stores where not everything is not a dollar. Those just make me sad. Seriously, when you use the word dollar in the name and call it a dollar store don't have things that are for $5. That is what 5 Below is for. Anyways, the Hello Kitty wall decals we got from Menards a while ago. The B I also didn't get from the dollar store. I made that myself with a wooden B from Michaels, silver paint, and some ribbon decals. That was the most expensive thing in the room and it was only around $6. The top wall hanging we had from a while ago so we didn't get that from the dollar store and same goes for the chandelier. Speaking of the chandelier....


Yeah, that's right. I hand made this thing! It was an absolute pain in the butt and I will probably NEVER make another one as long as I live but in the end it was so worth it. Especially since Brad told me I wouldn't be able to do it. Excuse me! I am an American woman, we are fantastic with crafts. Or failing at crafts but whatever. Hello, home of Martha Stewart here. In all honesty if he would have never said I couldn't do it, I might have given up on it. I'm stubborn and sometimes that stubbornness pays off. Needless to say my amazing husband was extremely impressed with my crafting skills. If you want to make your very own chandelier and bling out the paper lantern you can find my tutorial by clicking here

Now its time for Emelia's side. I kept Emelia's side a little less glamorous and more flowery. I figured the glam side was perfect for a Hello Kitty lovin' 7 year old and the flowery side would be better for a sweet two year old. Here is Emelia's side.


I got the flowers, the pictures, and the paper lantern from the dollar store. For the paper lantern I just hot glued flowers and pink butterflies that I got from the dollar store to it and hung it with pearl beads. Super easy. The E I did the same exact way as I did with the B from Bridgette's side. That was also super easy. The frames I got from Meijer for under $2 a piece. I couldn't even find the frames that cheap at the Salvation Army. They were white and brown so I decided to paint them with purple craft paint. Two of them when the paint was still wet I decided to sprinkle glitter on them and I love the way it turned out! 

My husband found pink and purple valances and I think it really pulled the room together. Bridgette picked out the color of the room and we really love the pink. It is soft and girly and best of all not boring tan! I wanted to do a before/after collage. Just so you guys can see the difference.


It is such a difference between the two! Now its time to see Bridgette's reaction. 


I love this picture. It shows how much in love she is with the room. She was nothing but smiles and giggles. We also got a video. 


I love how excited the girls are. Really just Bridgette is excited and Emelia is copying her but it definitely made us feel good about how much work we put into it. I am really proud of how it looks. Hopefully it will stay as pretty for a while but I guarantee it will be a mess by the end of the day! If you are re-doing a little girls room maybe you can get some inexpensive ideas from what we did. I know we spent less than $100 on the whole room including paint. I think the paint is what cost us the most and that was around $40. The rest I want to say we got for around $30.


Peace and Love, 








No comments:

Post a Comment