Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Being God Smacked

This past year has been a roller coaster for me. I have had some of the best moments and some of the worst. I have had a baby then had to take my baby in for a major surgery. I truly believe everything happens for a reason. There is a plan in place and sometimes its not the plan we want. It doesn't mean it isn't a great thing that leads to much happiness but at the time it doesn't seem so great. I never thought I would say this...but I am so thankful for what we have gone through in the past year. 

I am not going to lie, it has been extremely rough. I have had to welcome my little boy into this world just to fear that I would lose him. I have had to put his life in someones hands that I barely even know. It has been a scary, hard, and sad year. It has also gave me a reason to help others. I am the type that strives to help others. If I see a car accident, I am going to see what I can do to help. If I see someone in need then I will give them my last $5 to help them out. I saw that doctors don't really know what cranio is. I saw that sometimes they wont listen to parents telling them that something is not right. Going through what I have has given me an opportunity to spread awareness and be able to help out other families. For that I am thankful.

There are times when I feel like I am being pushed towards a certain way. I like to call this God smacked, it makes me laugh when I call it that but that's what I feel like it is. I feel God leads us down the path we are supposed to go. We can determine whether that path is the one we take because we can make our own decisions but I feel sometimes things just line up so wonderfully that it has to be God. I have been a stay at home mom for almost three years now. I love being with my kids but I have been wanting to go back to work and be able to financially contribute to our family. I also worked really hard for my degree and I love doing the medical assisting and phlebotomy. 

Here is where I have been God smacked. I have looked around everywhere for a medical assisting job because that was the main part of my degree. I have looked into phlebotomy but if I am being honest, not as hard as medical assisting. I have not been able to find a medical assisting job. Then I became pregnant with Eli. Eli was a welcome blessing but also one that we were not expecting. So, just as I was able to go look into my career again I had to put it on hold to welcome another member into our house. Then cranio happened. It took all these plans I had and turned them completely upside down. There are so many emotions that I have had but who would have thought in the midst of this all I would feel joy. I have been able to figure out how to help others and have felt so much joy and pride seeing my son's recovery. I already knew he was amazing and this just proves it more. 

I absolutely love Beaumont hospital. Beaumont will always have a special place in my heart for what they have done for my family and my son. There are a few wonderful hospitals in Southeast Michigan that helps out cranio families but God pushed me to Beaumont for a reason. I actually did call another hospital and scheduled an appointment to see them. It would be about a month to see them and they didn't mention doing an x-ray or anything they were going to just check him out first under the diagnosis of plagiocephaly. It was a gut feeling to also call Beaumont and when I talked to the nurse there she got me in the very next week and made us go in for an x-ray. She said that it could very much be plagio but prepare for cranio and her daughter had craniosynostosis so she knows how scary it is. At that moment I just felt drawn to Beaumont and I feel that was God nudging me to go there. 

While we were in the hospital Eli had to have blood drawn. The phlebotomist came in and I was talking to her and I mentioned that I had a phlebotomy degree. She immediately gave me her email and said to message her a copy of my resume. I mentioned that I wanted a part time job, and that I had to be at home with the kids while my husband was at work. Most of the time that is an issue but she said that they are hiring for a part time phlebotomist right now and the hours are 4-8am or 7-11pm. Those hours were perfect and I leaned more towards the 7-11 shift so we wouldn't have to get a babysitter at all. When we got home I immediately gave her my resume and they set me up for an interview. 

When I got to my interview I was very nervous. I don't have much experience and I cannot work on Friday. Not working Friday was an issue. I thought I did horrible on my interview because I pretty much did the opposite of what they tell you to do. Instead of giving short precise answers to questions I rambled. I got off track and I forgot what I was going to say. I thought I was a mess. I have kept up on my degree. I look up something pertaining to my degree each month and every time Eli had to have something done I watched what they did. They asked me what the procedure was for a blood draw and I walked them through it. They were impressed that I was able to remember it so well for not having done it in 3 years. They thanked me for coming out and I left the interview thinking that I failed it but putting it in Gods hands. 

There is a reason why one thing led to another. I just kept that in mind that when something works out so perfectly it's out of my hands. I learned that when we got our house last year after 4 other houses that we put offers on didn't work out. I love where I live and I love my neighbors so that was also a time where I feel we had been God smacked. I just got a call yesterday and I am happy to announce that I start at Beaumont next month! I am excited and nervous but I know I am doing what I am supposed to be. 

That huge story (that got off track a couple times, sorry) is just to say sometimes when life isn't going the way you want it to put it in Gods hands. Even if you don't believe in God just try it. Try to become more like Jesus (which I think is what everyone should strive for whether we believe in him or not) and when life leads you down one way then go with it. There are times where it is going to be hard and you are going to ask "why me?" and feel like your whole world is crashing down. The thing is your world does not crash down and it can lead you to amazing things. Even if you don't have a plan just remember God does. You just have to listen. I am so thankful for my family and especially my little man. I am thankful for my journey and I am excited to see where God leads me next. I am so thankful for all my children but I am thankful for God blessing me with Eli. He might have not have been expected, but my life is now full because he is in it. 


Sometimes our biggest blessings are the ones we don't plan or weren't expecting. Just something to keep in mind. 


Peace and Love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment